Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dating: How Old Is Too Old?

Today's question is a juicy one, if I do say so myself.

It's something I've been thinking about a lot, as I look around myself and realize that most of my dating prospects are men who are a couple years younger than I am. My mother was three years older than my father, and that's never seemed strange to me. And yet, when I meet a man who is three years younger than me, I find myself thinking of him in endearing terms like "cutie," "adorable," and "little boy." It doesn't help that 21- and 22-yr-old men comprise a good portion of my English 150 students.

When I was 22, I dated a man who was five years my senior (or was it six? I don't even remember). So why should I hesitate for even a second with men who are just a year or three younger than I?

And yet I do.

Try as I might to understand this hang up, I just plain don't get it. So I'm opening the question up to all of you:

What do you think of different ages in dating, and are your feelings different if the older party is a man vs. a woman?

Why do you feel/ think the way you do about age differences in couples?

No comments:

Post a Comment