Sunday, July 25, 2010

Celebration of Feminism

Some days being a feminist leaves me feeling drained. The fight against chauvinism, sexism, and straight up complacency can take a lot out of a person. It can even make me feeling like hiding in the bottom pocket of my suitcase and sending myself across the world, to some remote location where there are no other human beings.

And that's where our new tradition comes in. Inspired by a tradition I saw on the blog Joe.My.God, the Celebration of Feminism is a new (and likely random) segment where all the feminists and feminist sympathizers get to stop pulling their hair, crying, and shouting at imaginary opponents, in imaginary conversations about gender.

Oh, and we get to stop throwing things at our television sets.

How do we do this? Well, we put aside all our frustrations with corrupt patriarchy (LDS readers, please note my use of that modifying adjective). We put aside the very real struggles we face every day as we try to transform the world into a better place, and we celebrate the strides that have been made lately.

What kind of stuff should we celebrate and how? Anything and everything that's progress for feminism. You can drop a link to a music video that makes you happy, you can tell a heart-warming anecdote about your family, friends, and/or romantic partner. You can even point out the teensy bit of silver lining in an otherwise damaging government policy or movie/show.

So, ready, set..... Celebrate!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Jonathan Weiss said...
    This is an anecdote that I recently wrote to a friend of mine on FaceBook. I hope this is what you want Emily. It makes me happy because rain is so impartial to gender or any other social or political power struggle.

    You know your in deep when rain is the happiest part of your day. Call me Ishmael, no call me Sam. I like saying poetic things but in this case I'm sure you wouldn't understand why I would like to be called Ishmael. Hell, I'm not sure even I understand. But it's like what happened last night. As I said, I slept out in the backyard. The grass and dirt were fairly comfortable but what was really great was the rain. Have I ever mentioned that I really like the rain? Well, I really really like the rain. While I was falling asleep it started raining. Not the, oh crap I am going to be soaked kind of rain, but the, surely the Gods do favor me this night with a bathe of kisses from above. At one point I lay on my back looking towards the night stars and enjoyed the plummeting rain drops. There are few feelings that compare to rain falling on my face and body. I didn't really have the inertia to move but luckily for me I did not want to. I wanted to stay there for as long as I could! I wanted to allow that celestial rain to forever make me a part of its self. I guess what I am trying to say is that the rain made me happy. Really happy. The kind of happy that only comes from someone else. Whether that someone else is God, family, a lover, best friends, or strangers that pick you up when your broke on the side of the road. It's something you can't experience solo. But I am sure I am boring you. Here have a seat. Lean back and relax. I'll play some background music while you take some time to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for strong female characters. My little brother and sister had their wisdom teeth taken out this week, and Caleb began watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on my Netflix account. A nice moment occurred to me when I realized that I wanted Catherine, who was watching something else, to come see the episode that deals with a violent boyfriend (Episode 3.4, for those interested.)

    So, for a shameless self-plug, here's when I blogged about Buffy, and why I much prefer her to the Bella character from Twilight. Why? Well, because I want my sister and any daughters I may have to be more like Buffy-strong and independent, not like Bella, who is mousy and dangerously co-dependent.

    http://ifeellikeschrodingerscat.blogspot.com/2009/11/buffy-vs-edward.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that I can vote, that I don't have to get married young, that I can contribute more to the world than babies and hot meals, that I can pursue an education, and that no one is in control of my life but me (and God if you want to get religious). I don't have to wear a corset, or act helpless and needy. I can be whatever I want to be.

    ReplyDelete